 Administrative / Suggestions / 46
45  |  47
Subject:
A better place to submit bugs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 05:17:56 GMT

There's been a number of times where I've noticed small problems, and
haven't been too sure where to post them.  A 'bug' hierarchy might help.

For instance, I use the web interface for posting articles, and "E-mail me a
copy" is checked, yet I've never received an email of my messages.  Why?  I
think I asked Todd Lehman about this through email a long time ago, but I
don't remember what happened after that.  (BTW: A related suggestion: It
would be nice to have this switch 'remember' the setting from the last time
you posted, so that if you turn it off, it would stay off until you turn it
back on again.  Also, if you turn it off, click preview, you might not
notice that it was turned back on again at the bottom of the screen, since
there's a "post" button higher up.  I'd say this is another bug.)

A second type of bug would be errors in the various databases.  The various
databases are extremely useful to us, and sometimes while using them we
notice inconsistencies, etc.  Where is the proper place to mention these?
For example, in http://news.lugnet.com/admin/database/?n=554 I mentioned
that the Brickshelf instructions are for the wrong set (though numbered the
same).  No one ever told me if that was the correct place to post things
like this, but no one ever fixed it either.

A new hierarchy of bug reports would let things like this be tracked, a
quick reply of "fixed" or a quick explanation of why it won't fix would keep
people involved, and make lugnet a better place.

So here's at least two subgroups, and I'm sure there's more:

lugnet.bugreports.news-interface
lugnet.bugreports.databases

--
  David Schilling