 Administrative / Suggestions / 310
Re: Lugnet Chat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 23:09:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz writes:
Jude Beaudin wrote:

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Daniel Crichton writes:
Jude Beaudin <shiningblade@rogers.com> wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford writes:
This was discussed at some length in this thread
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=182 just thought i'd bring
it up again.

ROSCO

Does not email authentication kill it being realtime (unless you are a
member signed in)?

I believe it was going to be a proper chat system like IRC, so email auth
wouldn't come into it.

If you were implied sarcasm then I missed it ... too tired :)

Dan

No sarcasm intended, I was thinking of identity theft issues.

Some thoughts on chat and identity theft issues:

I wouldn't generally think of NNTP or e-mail as being the clients of
choice for a chat room, I would see logging on through a web client as
being the means of use. Of course this might make chat only available to
members, but it could be set up so you don't need a membership (then
perhaps an icon shows up beside your name in the chat participants which
indicates if you are a member or not).

I'd make the suggestion that maybe it's only available to members (an added
benefit of membership) or at least have a room (or rooms) available to members
only, and the identity displayed is the name on your membership page (or an
alias thereon).

Another thought - would there be some way to automatically have a room for each
NG? eg A "technic" room, a "trains" room, a "build.arch" room? Would there be
any merit in this approach, or would it be too much?

If there's multiple rooms, I'd also want to see a limit allowing each member to
only be in x rooms at once. I'd see 3 being a reasonable limit.

I also don't think of chat
messages as being archived, so there isn't as much problem with identity
theft (in other words, I won't join the chat tomorrow and get all pissed
at you because I read something someone spoofing you posted yesterday).

Agreed.

ROSCO