 Administrative / Suggestions / 260
Re: Authenticating Posts is a real Pain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 20:39:13 GMT

William Swanberg wrote:

Let me also second this.  I often view Lugnet while at work, and I cannot
always get my home email, so posting through a newsreader is an exercise in
futility because my post won't even show up until a day later.

Even when I do post from home and can authenticate, it often takes hours for
that authentication email to arrive, and hours more before the message is
then posted.

We do need a better way to authenticate but unfortunately, the NNTP
password system just doesn't do what is necessary. I haven't noticed too
much lag, though every once in a while, an authentication e-mail never
arrives (Dan sent me an e-mail with the authentication links for all the
messages I had pending, and it was a long list, though many of them were
from back at the beginning of the authentication when there was a bug
which was fixed).

What would be nice, and I think we will eventually see, is a way to do
mass authentication, or at least a web page where you can see all the
messages which need authentication. Mass authentication does have to be
done in a way though that we don't just robotically accept all messages
since the whole purpose of the deal is to block people from assuming
other people's identity, and if you just mechanically accept all
messages presented to you for authentication, you could wind up
authenticating a post you didn't write.

FRank