 Administrative / Suggestions / 19
Re: My LUGNET Page
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 19:33:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Thomas Avery writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Jeromy Irvine writes:
I would like to see a "My LUGNET" page that would let me track the messages
that I've posted, as well as providing the ability to create a Favorite
Groups list so that I can jump quickly to the groups that I like to read.

You can always add to your Lugnet webpage to accomplish these things:

If you're logged in, you should see a button to start the editing of your
page. You'll have to learn FTX code, but it's not difficult.

To make a link, simply enter the address in <>, for example:
<http://news.lugnet.com/technic TECHNIC NEWSGROUP>
will create a link that appears "TECHNIC NEWSGROUP" and will then take you
to that newsgroup.

Yes, I was already aware of this. The problem is that this is an inefficient
(IMO) way of doing this. I'm a programmer/webmaster, so figuring out FTX
isn't too difficult for me; however, I don't think that it's feasible for
the average user who just wants to track their favorite groups.

(Also, I alreay have a list of links to my favorite LUGNET groups on my
computer that I'm maintaining manually. I'd rather let the site do it for me.)

What I would like to see is a more advanced feature on the LUGNET site that
would let me select the groups from a list and just click a button to add
them to my "favorites" section. It could also let me see if there are any
new posts in those groups since my last visit.

Finding your posts is a little difficult, but one way is to just search for
your name. If you want to search in a specific newsgroup, try this:
http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?q=jeromy+irvine

Again, I'm aware of how to do this, but I was thinking in more general /
user-friendly terms - more along the lines of what David Schilling suggested
in this post:
http://news.lugnet.com/admin/suggestions/?n=7

Sorry if my original post wasn't that clear - hopefully this has helped to
explain my ideas better.

--
Jeromy Irvine
irvinej@accuvera.com