 Administrative / Suggestions / 1466
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 16:20:20 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
   I’m pleased to announce a first draft for the new LUGNET homepage.

The new home page looks good, and I can tell that a lot of hard work is going into the site upgrade. Although I think the original home page could be de-cluttered somewhat, it would be nice if the new page remained as faithful as possible to the look-and-feel of the “classic” one.

I think the font sizes could be scaled down and the excess space tightened up a bit. I’m guessing that the larger font is for the benefit of those with vision problems? If you must enlarge the text, maybe a font size preference could be saved in each user profile? (I hate using scrollbars.)

I also find the float-over text changes to be disconcerting. I would vote for a more static page layout, FWIW.

I notice that the article digests suffer from some dropped text problems. (For example, the “Millyard” article drops the acronym “NELUG”.) This is similar to the problems that the top-level newsgroup digests have always had.

   2) You will notice a somewhat different color scheme. This is due to the fact, that I co-ordinated the colors blue, red and yellow in accordance with chromatics to the best possible harmonious affiliation.

I had to laugh at this. Color change? You’re playing with fire! :)

You’re off to a great start, and I look forward to seeing further improvements to the site.