 Administrative / Suggestions / 1459
Re: New homepage for LUGNET part 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 2 Dec 2006 07:18:30 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
   Hi all,

I’m pleased to announce a first draft for the new LUGNET homepage.

   http://www.lugnet.com/index-test-2.php (Enjoy!)

http://www.lugnet.com/articles.php (Slow loading, raw implementation)

Hi Rene,

First, great start! A redo of the home page, to make it much more relevant and timely, is very needed. I have some suggestions, I hope they are helpful. They’re in no particular order.
  • Banner with two colors blue - I like having something more graphic there, although the the icons seem oversize in comparison to the other graphic elements on the page, and they seem a bit too cartoony. Also, the dark blue and light blue areas seem to take up quite a bit of room, the space in the blue bar seems a little wasted to me.

  • Membership at top left - that’s prime screen real estate, and won’t change as often as “popular newsgroups” (I assume that’s somewhat dynamic). I would think those would be what you’d want people clicking on most, it makes sense to me to put “Popular Newsgroups” at the top left.

  • I like the search at top right, and the latest MOCs as well. The Helpful links are very good too, although it might be a nice idea to rotate some of the links randomly, or on a schedule - both to keep other content owners happy and avoid charges of favoritism, as well as provide fresh content for new and experienced users.

  • The white space gutters between the three columns seem a little wide. Maybe I’m just used to more condensed layouts, but like the header space, seems like it could be tightened up a little.

  • The page is fairly long, the type seems aggressively large and spaced out.

  • Will the non-newsgroup content be updated automatically or by hand? Just curious.

  • Regarding RSS feeds and PHP, to consume RSS I highly recommend SimplePie, a PHP reader class based on Magpie. I’ve implemented it on ILENN and it’s been working well for nearly a year (still in alpha mode, alas).
Overall, this is very good movement, I look forward to seeing its release.

Regards,
Kelly