 Administrative / Suggestions / 1436
Re: Suggestion: streamline highlighting interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:10:35 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Jake McKee wrote:
Not concerns, but personally I'd like to see a full updating of the Web
interface. Todd's original design worked fantastic, I think, but it's been up
for what? 8 years? I think it's time to employ some modern interface design
tactics!

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP
Private Citizen

Hi Jake,

though I think it's not necessary to change something just because it's eight
years old, especially when working fine, I'm currently working over the markup
language into xhtml1.1 in combination with css2.

!!! Please note that this is NOT the upcoming site.
!!! Preview: http://www.lugnet.com/index_new.cgi
!!! Please note that this is NOT the upcoming site.

At this stage, the graphic design and the layout is just my playground. If you
take a look at the site's source code, I'm still testing in which order I should
define several elements. I even tested it with Lynx (being still unhappy about
the current sequencing). But I guess I'm very close to the final order. After
that, I will create a first CSS to have a basic design. Suz offered help with
graphical issues. And by using CSS, we even have the opportunity to call for a
design contest.

Later, we could implement user preferences for the whole site's look&feel, but
that's dreams of the future at the moment and would be Jerry's part :-)

After "rebuilding" the homepage I have to revise all the tiny HTML-code-pieces
in all the site's mods. This will be a good deal of work, but once it has been
done, we have a modern markup language used in Todd's reliable code which also
provides the opportunity to create modern interfaces without creating a
full-blown new site.

Leg Godt!
Rene