 Administrative / Suggestions / 1434
Re: Suggestion: streamline highlighting interface
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:33:23 GMT

David Eaton wrote:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Rene Hoffmeister wrote:
Hm. Another possibility might be to have a "NNTP/SMTP QuickView" or
something. A view of the post which can be linked to on NNTP/SMTP
messages at the bottom of the message, which jumps right to a special
version of the post view, with the highlight/spotlight options right
at the top. Hm. Actually, I suppose that works much better for SMTP,
where there's at least the possibility of figuring out whether or not
someone is a member before appending a link that won't help most
people. Hm.

Of course there's another good reason to have a link to the post in the post
itself for SMTP/NNTP... I'm always having to create a link when I want to
reference another post (of course this speedup, even if you still have to
scroll to the bottom, will be nice for those just wanting to highlight).

I like the idea of user preferences. Then the NNTP/SMTP server can just
append the link to the post. If you are a power user and want the highlight
buttons at the top, that's in your user preferences (which is just fine -
you need to be logged on to highlight anyway). For the non-member, they get
a useful link to the post (and no highlight buttons, and no user preferences
controlling things...).

Frank