 Administrative / Suggestions / 1259
Re: Sugestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 18:50:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Peter Blencowe wrote:

Some good thoughts--always nice to get fresh perspectives.

2. Get rid of .debate.

    I know saying that won’t make me popular with a lot of people but I
sincerely believe that .debate is hurting Lugnet more than it is helping. I’m
sure it was started as a place for people to take their arguments but I don’t
think that having it on Lugnet premises is a good idea.

I'd be one of those who would disagree here.  There are many times when
something starts out as LEGO discussion but grows into something that isn't, so
it's good to have .debate.  For instance, take Brendan's Brick Testament
project.  His illustration of parts of the Bible has, in the past, led to
discussion of his interpretation of those stories and then on to discussion of
those stories themselves and more general religious issues.  At some point in
this discussion, the thread usually gets diverted over into the off-topic
groups.  If we didn't have that, the discussion would sit in the on-topic groups
and then there would be tons of posts arguing about the inappropriateness of the
discussion to the forum.
I also think it's good to have those forums because if I have a group of
friends, it's nice to be able to talk to them about everything I'm interested
in, and not have our discussion solely limited to the topic that initially
brought us together.
I do agree with you, though, that feelings can run hot in the off-topic threads
on, say, the recent US election or the Iraq war, and sometimes people's anger at
eachother in those threads can spill over into discussions they have in the
on-topic threads.

Bruce