 Administrative / Suggestions / 1235
Re: Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:23:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Shaun Sullivan wrote:
   Frustrated Comments Ahead:

Is there any summary information available to try and understand how some of the major AFOL resources are now being administered? Both Lugnet and Brickshelf seem to have undergone major practical changes in the last few weeks a months, many of which have seriously jeopardized their utility (in my opinion).

Seriously jeopardised?

   Lugnet: I have traditionally relied heavily on the Spotlight column to direct my attention to MOCs of particular value and interest. I don’t limit my viewings to those that are spotlighted, but I’ve always known that I can find a number of MOCs worth seeing and examining there. Somewhere along the lines this has changed, undoubtedly in response to the malignant encroachment of non-MOC (off-topic, inflammatory, negative, editorial, etc) posts that were dominating the spotlight column. The result is a spotlight column that has sacrificed nearly ALL of its relevance. This morning I went through the list and 3 of them were articles posted in the last 30 minutes, none of which had actually received any peer review (spotlighting or highlighting), and 2 of which linked to Brickshelf folders that had not even been made public yet. What skewed algorithm dictates that these get bumped onto a Spotlight list? I suspect that it’s because all of them were posted to the .moc newsgroup; if the suppostion that this is the only requisite criterion needed for “spotlight” status is in fact true then the spotlight function has lost much of its value.

It’s not the only thing that matters, no, but posts to .announce.* and in particular, posts to announce.moc get an upweighting, and posts to .admin.* and .off-topic.* get a downweighting. That was spoecifically in response to user concerns about non LEGO creation posts getting far too much prominence in the spotlight.

   I do not consider today an isolated instance, either – several times in the past few weeks I’ve found spotlighted items which I imagine a general consensus would indicate do not belong on the list.

Can you give examples? Ore are you referring to MOC announcements that don’t have any weighting yet?

   Is there any easily-accessible summary or explanation for either of these changes? Note that I’m not interested in sifting through long threads that have 200 or more posts to them, for I consider that quite inaccessible.

There isn’t necessarily a capsule summary of why the spotlight function weights were adjusted, no, (sorry!) but I think you can find discussion of it in a thread of far less than 200 posts.

I’ve set the FUT on my post (and forcefut your post’s FUT) to just admin.general. In particular was there a specific suggestion that you were making? If there was and I missed it, please feel free to drop me (or any admin) a mail, or reply with FUT set back to .suggeestions, so I know to add the specific suggestion to the list.

I’ll make sure the rest of the admins see your post and if a more formal, more official, post is warranted, one will be made.