 General / 50481
50480  |  50482
Subject:
Compromised Functionality on Lugnet and Brickshelf?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.suggestions

Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:55:20 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Frustrated Comments Ahead:

Is there any summary information available to try and understand how some of the major AFOL resources are now being administered? Both Lugnet and Brickshelf seem to have undergone major practical changes in the last few weeks a months, many of which have seriously jeopardized their utility (in my opinion).

Lugnet: I have traditionally relied heavily on the Spotlight column to direct my attention to MOCs of particular value and interest. I don’t limit my viewings to those that are spotlighted, but I’ve always known that I can find a number of MOCs worth seeing and examining there. Somewhere along the lines this has changed, undoubtedly in response to the malignant encroachment of non-MOC (off-topic, inflammatory, negative, editorial, etc) posts that were dominating the spotlight column. The result is a spotlight column that has sacrificed nearly ALL of its relevance. This morning I went through the list and 3 of them were articles posted in the last 30 minutes, none of which had actually received any peer review (spotlighting or highlighting), and 2 of which linked to Brickshelf folders that had not even been made public yet. What skewed algorithm dictates that these get bumped onto a Spotlight list? I suspect that it’s because all of them were posted to the .moc newsgroup; if the suppostion that this is the only requisite criterion needed for “spotlight” status is in fact true then the spotlight function has lost much of its value. I do not consider today an isolated instance, either – several times in the past few weeks I’ve found spotlighted items which I imagine a general consensus would indicate do not belong on the list.

Brickshelf: Every day or two for the past three years I’ve gone to Brickshelf and scanned through the recent folders until I’ve reviewed any and all items that look interesting. This has always been easily accomplished because the ORDER of the galleries added to the “recent” pages has always been chronological. Unless a moderator is adding galleries while I happen to be reviewing them, the relative positions of the galleries on the “recent” pages remained static, a fact which allowed me to easily navigate back and forth, into and out of galleries, until I’d seen everything that piqued my interest. Now the “recent” pages seem to be randomly ordered – a fact which becomes painfully clear if you click “reload” or the “recent” link while on a page in the recent uploads area. The galleries all shuffle, making any sort of logical or progressive review all but impossible.

Is there any easily-accessible summary or explanation for either of these changes? Note that I’m not interested in sifting through long threads that have 200 or more posts to them, for I consider that quite inaccessible.

In any case, I find it a real shame that the functionality of these sites has been compromised so severely through these changes. I have no problem giving the respective administrators the benefit of the doubt and assuming that there was a rationale decision for these modifications, but I sincerely hope that the current state of affairs is only an interim step that leads back to a higher level of utility.

Shaun