 Administrative / Suggestions / 1046
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 05:35:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

   You are demanding that all kids, no matter what their parents might think, should be put in the same bucket. Kids need a variety of places they are exposed to the adult world,

With all due respect, Frank, it’s called THE REAL WORLD. Kids need MORE interaction with REAL PEOPLE and less with online acquaintances, IMO.

John, I cant help but point out that you are describing your opinions.

I fully acknowledge that, Lenny (thus the “IMO”;-)

   It seems to me obvious that each individual parent must be able to decide what is appropriate and safe for their children, and that the parents themselves must enforce this ‘safe barrier.’ In other words, it is not the duty of Lugnet to ‘protect’ children - it is the duty of the children’s parents, and them alone.

I thought it took a village...:-) Look I agree that parents are the final arbiter of matters WRT to their children, but also remember: not all parents are good parents. Of course it is not LUGNET’s job to protect children. But LUGNET can choose to be a kid-safe environment.

   Personally, when I have children - I will expose my children to both the real world and the online world and I will allow them to decide where they want to interact.

Ahem. I have children, and I don’t believe you. So, for example, you would allow your 10 year old to go to a porn site if they actually asked you? That sounds very enlightened and all, but in the final analysis, some things are better left unseen and unknown. It is my belief that a child’s youth is sacred, and that forcing a child to grow up too quickly by exposing them to “adult content” is unconsciencable. Kids need time as youths to just be kids. But this whole topic of appropriateness of material for kids, while interesting, is tangental.

   Both real and online worlds have similiar standards of behavior,

Whoa, I couldn’t disagree more! The anonymity of online users causes unbelievable breakdowns in moral behavior IMO. There is practically NO accountability online and I think many people simply can’t handle the complete freedom in their control. But, again, that’s another debate.

   and both real and online worlds give equal access to ‘inappropriate topics(1).’

Again, not by a loooong shot. Take porn (since the net probably owes its success to porn, as opposed to Al Gore;-) Used to be that one had to go to an adult bookstore, or an adult movie theater, or (more recently) video store to get access to porn. Now, it’s 1 click away (via a bookmark;-)

Now again, I don’t want to get into a debate as to the morality of porn, but I think we can both agree that there are some downright sick things online that no civil human being should view. Access to completely disgusting things is literally now at anyone’s fingertips. (Must....get....back....on....topic:-)

(1) = I learned how to fight and curse at my christian private elementary school, not to mention my first run in with bullies (who recieved virtual immunity because they were children of important parishioners as opposed to my poor family). I’m pretty sure that did more damage to young-Lenny than reading through o-t-d would have.

Well, that is a sad story, but before this spins hopelessly off my point, let me just restate:

Off-topic content may or may not be appropriate for kids-- the reasons are not germane to this discussion. I think we can safely say that at least 90% of off-topic chatter is complete blather to a kid and uninteresting to them to say the least. What does excite the kids who come to LUGNET, presumably, is LEGO-related material. My suggestion is that, in order to help make LUGNET more interesting to people who come to LUGNET for LEGO-related discussions, and for people who come to LUGNET for ADULT discussions that aren’t LEGO related, Todd should separate the two.

JOHN