 Administrative / Suggestions / 1043
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 21:20:27 GMT

   You are demanding that all kids, no matter what their parents might think, should be put in the same bucket. Kids need a variety of places they are exposed to the adult world,

With all due respect, Frank, it’s called THE REAL WORLD. Kids need MORE interaction with REAL PEOPLE and less with online acquaintances, IMO.

John, I cant help but point out that you are describing your opinions. It seems to me obvious that each individual parent must be able to decide what is appropriate and safe for their children, and that the parents themselves must enforce this ‘safe barrier.’ In other words, it is not the duty of Lugnet to ‘protect’ children - it is the duty of the children’s parents, and them alone.

Personally, when I have children - I will expose my children to both the real world and the online world and I will allow them to decide where they want to interact. Both real and online worlds have similiar standards of behavior, and both real and online worlds give equal access to ‘inappropriate topics(1).’

-lenneh

(1) = I learned how to fight and curse at my christian private elementary school, not to mention my first run in with bullies (who recieved virtual immunity because they were children of important parishioners as opposed to my poor family). I’m pretty sure that did more damage to young-Lenny than reading through o-t-d would have.