 Administrative / Suggestions / 1042
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 2004 03:09:49 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz wrote:
   John wrote:
   Yes, I agree that everybody has different thresholds of what they consider to be appropriate and inappropriate. That is precisely why I would stay away from those type of arguments and simply categorize everything off-topic as being “adult”. Not because it is necessarily so, but because it is potentially so.

But what about when someone shows their wedding cake topper? Is that on-topic?

If it is built out of LEGO-- yes.

   If so, it is ok that it presents sexual content? Do the admin groups remain adult only because they’re off-topic also?

Do you suppose that I’d be so pedantic to suggest otherwise? Seems like .admin might be a good exception. And .test might fit under that hierarchy as well...

   You have not provided a good reason why Lugnet should stray from it’s original vision which was to be more than just a soulless place to talk about LEGO.

Ha, you weaken your argument by your laughable characterization of on-topic groups!

   If the off-topic stuff is made inaccessible to kids, they will be left out of the community, except that they will pick up the shadows of the community, and realize a deeper community exists, that they can not be a part of.

Uh, the “deeper community” is called adulthood. They will never “be there” until they are there. Let’s let them be kids while they are young.

   You are demanding that all kids, no matter what their parents might think, should be put in the same bucket. Kids need a variety of places they are exposed to the adult world,

With all due respect, Frank, it’s called THE REAL WORLD. Kids need MORE interaction with REAL PEOPLE and less with online acquaintances, IMO.

   and they need to learn themselves what they are comfortable with.

Don’t parse that.

JOHN