 Administrative / Suggestions / 1041
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 15:36:24 GMT

John wrote:
Yes, I agree that everybody has different thresholds of what they
consider to be appropriate and inappropriate.  That is precisely why
I would stay {away} from those type of arguments and simply
categorize [everything] off-topic as being "adult".  Not because it
is necessarily so, but because it is {potentially} so.

But what about when someone shows their wedding cake topper? Is that
on-topic? If so, it is ok that it presents sexual content? Do the admin
groups remain adult only because they're off-topic also?

You have not provided a good reason why Lugnet should stray from it's
original vision which was to be more than just a soulless place to talk
about LEGO. If the off-topic stuff is made inaccessible to kids, they will
be left out of the community, except that they will pick up the shadows of
the community, and realize a deeper community exists, that they can not be a
part of.

You are demanding that all kids, no matter what their parents might think,
should be put in the same bucket. Kids need a variety of places they are
exposed to the adult world, and they need to learn themselves what they are
comfortable with.

Frank