 Administrative / Suggestions / 1040
Re: Why these news groups were created
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:40:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz wrote:
   John wrote:
   Why this fixation on the adjective “graphic”? Isn’t plain ol’ sexual content inappropriate enough?

What do you mean by “sexual” content? Is mentioning that you have a wife sexual? Is a guy mentioning that he has a boyfriend sexual? Is you mentioning that you have a kid sexual? Is a woman mentioning tha she is pregnant sexual? Is mentioning that you’re a guy and someone else is a gal sexual?

Of course “graphic” has similar problems. Is showing a picture of a guy graphic?

Yes, I agree that everybody has different thresholds of what they consider to be appropriate and inappropriate. That is precisely why I would stay away from those type of arguments and simply categorize everything off-topic as being “adult”. Not because it is necessarily so, but because it is potentially so.

I just don’t think that kids come to LUGNET to participate in off-topic discussions as many adults do. Kids are looking for cool MOCs or for feedback on their MOC or advice (WRT to LEGO) or knowledge about something related to LEGO. For them, it’s about the LEGO. For many adults, as I believe you personally stated, it’s about the community of AFOLs. And I have no problem with that. Really. .GLBT, .LGBT, .TGIF, whatever. All I’m suggesting is that off-topic groups be restricted to adults. I’m not suggesting that there will necessarily be anything bad happening “behind the wall”, just stuff that is OFF-TOPIC for LEGO. That’s all. That way, LUGNET appears to the GP as a nice, completely LEGO-related web site, and the off-topic communities can flourish besides.

I don’t see any compelling arguments against this course of action. It has been suggested that the appearance of an “adult section” might suggest some sort of “seediness”, but I would counter that the public existence of some particular threads currently viewable by the GP might raise some eyebrows as well. It has been suggested that the age barrier would discriminate against some younger FOLs who are indeed mature enough to handle anything an adult could. That may be true, but the currently system discriminates against adults who’d like to be able to participate in LUGNET groups without having to mince words or tiptoe around because there might be children present. Let’s be honest. Even though there are some topics that are “kid-safe”, isn’t it nice to be able to just relate to one another, adult-to-adult? To hang out at the bar over a few beers at a Fest with just adults? Off-topic would be the bar where kids aren’t allowed. Nothing bad necessarily happens in a bar, but kids are still unwelcomed there. It would be the same for off-topic LUGNET.

Please don’t get me wrong. I love kids. I have kids. I have a KABOB. And I love building with him and sharing the LEGO experience with him. But I also love just hanging with AFOLs without him; in fact, I happen to find it hard to do both at the same time. So even in that respect I’m a Compartmentalized Dork™:-) (though that is changing now that he is getting older).

So that is about all I have to say on the matter. Now I noticed that Todd posted a “personal ad” in the .singles group. There is nothing inappropriate for a kid to see in his post, but at the same time, there is nothing of value for a kid to see in that post, either. That post adds nothing to the value of LUGNET as a LEGO resource, BUT that post adds greatly to the value of the AFOL community! For one thing: I never knew Todd “bic”ed daily, and I shall henceforth strive to follow his bald example:-) I really do value the off-topic interaction among AFOLs (even glbt ones!), but my dilemma is that on-topic and off-topic don’t reconcile well with me. I really believe that an intentional division between the two will allow BOTH areas to flourish.

JOHN