 Administrative / NNTP / 841 (-5)
  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

(...) Shiri, This *doesn't* solve the problem for people who don't have access to a browser to authenticate their posts. It also doesn't solve the problem of people who compose a bunch of posts off-line, then dial-up to send them. These people now (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

Well, It sounds like the problem was a lot more widespread than I thought. Perhaps these "bad" people weren't posting in groups I frequented. Anyhow, it sounds like the security stuff is here to stay and will probably get more intrusive rather than (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

Brad, Please note that most people here don't like to post "me too" posts. Usually the people who agree to what a post says will remain silent, while the objecting parties will be a lot more vocal. I think that a great number of people are (...) (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

(...) But a seawall's not gonna help you against an earthquake... (...) ...if you use the web to post. Most of the people complaining use email or a newsreader to post, for which there's no way to "log on". ROSCO (23 years ago, 20-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

  Re: Email Authentication - Why not make it optional?

(...) Until said clone (or someone else) finds another way around it. (...) I enjoyed my time on Lugnet even when the clone was having fun - I just ignored the posts (mostly). (...) I also use the web to post 99% of the time, but I'm still not (...) (23 years ago, 19-Jun-01, to lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact