 Administrative / NNTP / 826
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 08:14:53 GMT

"Kerry Raymond" <kerry@dstc.edu.au> wrote in message

It would be nice if each NNTP message could carry its own authentication • in
some simple software-independent solution.

That's quite a neat idea, but as you say prone to risk of revealing the
password. I still think that using NNTP authentication will work, esp. if it
can be set up to allow reading with no authentication information, and if
posting without auth info generates the email as it does now, or just
refuses the post (the latter option could be user specified, I can see a
nasty risk in this new system where the Lugnet server is used to flood
someone with email by somebody else spoofing their name and email address
and posting like mad, unless Todd has already put in a limiter such that
after X messages within Y minutes a summary message is posted every Z
minutes listing all the articles to be authorized in period Y). I favour
NNTP because I can easily filter read messages and also tag interesting
threads, but this is getting to be a pain to post messages, if NNTP
authentication could be used I could set the ID and password for my account
in my news reader and just continue as I always have done.

Dan