 Administrative / NNTP / 822
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 19 Jun 2001 02:52:09 GMT

Hi Todd -
I'd also like to thank you for this.  Now LUGNET is more secure.

I do want to continue to voice the concerns a few others have had here
though.  I also use a newsreader 90% of the time to post, and its an
inconvenience.  It would be great if you could come up with a solution to
make it easier to post via newsreader, whether it be any of the suggestions
(or all, each being an option) - authenticating for a lot of messages at
once, etc.

The big thing here (and I know you realize it) is that this measure, though
necessary, ultimately damages the community.  While we're more secure from
attackers, as people have mentioned, it effects their posting frequency.  I
hope something like this doesn't stifle LUGNET.  It would be a shame if it did.

I don't want to rain on the parade - I'm very happy we're more secure here -
but I do want that concern of mine to be known.  Thanks for putting the time
into this for us.  I hate to admit it, but I don't think our attacker was a
complete failure here - he gave us a real blow by forcing this to be put in
place, not to mention his vitriolic posts.

-Tim