 Administrative / NNTP / 780
Re: E-mail authentication during posting
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 12:31:26 GMT

In lugnet.announce, Todd Lehman writes:
The Quick Summary
=================

Effectively immediately, all LUGNET News posts now require e-mail
authentication after posting, in order to prevent the continuance of forged
messages.  An exception to this rule is if you are a member and signed-in
through the web interface, in which case the system has already authenticated
you and simply logs your Member-ID in the message headers.

Todd,

I just wanted to thank you publicly for doing this.  I know its not perfect but
I personally would rather live with a little inconvenience then have to deal
with people stealing identities.  Fortunately for me I am a member that uses
the web interface anyway so I won't hardly notice a differance.

I still have a couple of concerns that I would rather not post here for fear
someone will take inappropriate actions.  I also know some people have been
inconvenienced by this and I hope they can make the adjustments to make this
work.  I do think this was necessary, unfortunately, and I am glad to see it in
place.  Assuming things really do stabalize I will probably get back to my old
posting self soon.

Thanks,

Eric Kingsley