 Administrative / NNTP / 719
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.admin.terms
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:03:44 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Frank Filz writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Alex Farlie writes:
Ok, Could you add a TOS/T&C comment regarding April Fool's and other
speculative type postings..
I know that on the posting page it clearly states that you agree not to
submit " false,fradulent,incomplete or decpetive information.".
However, I feel that a clearly marked speculative post might start up new
disscusions in some areas.

I'm curious where this statement is, I can't find it.

I'm not aware of anything in the TOS/T&C[1] about this either.  Alex may be
thinking of the news-posting setup form[2], where there is a checkbox that
says:

"I swear that all the information I am submitting on this page is
  correct and that I am not submitting any false, fraudulent,
  incomplete, or deceptive information."

Right... so users promise that the info they give about themselves is true,
but not that information in particular posts is.

It may also have been a misreading of this statement:

2.(do not) Falsely present yourself as a representative, employee, or
           official of a LEGO company or of LUGNET through the accidental
           or deliberate use of trademarks or servicemarks in your
           identity or through misleading or confusing statements in
           your postings.

Since we're coming up on April, I guess I think that's a good thing! (even
though I am convinced I have "sucker" taped to my back and just can't find
it... a good con always seems to take me in.)

I've got some very mixed feelings about the April Fools jokes. This has
been kicked off by the current business with the supposed NGLTC highway
cleanup sign. One thing I'm really feeling is that the medium of Lugnet
makes it very hard to realize you're falling into a trap. Last years
train hoax really caught a lot of people (I also wonder how much of the
discontent with LEGO Direct and the bulk offerings etc. is a result of
people feeling let down by that hoax?). One thing I worry is will it be
impossible to have any breaking news in April at all if people start to
feel burned by hoaxes? And if the hoaxes don't even confine themselves
to April Fools, will we just give up on believing anything?

Actually, in general I have a very strong concern for the believability
in the electronic world of tomorrow. How will you know anything is what
it claims to be as more and more communication is electronic, and there
doesn't seem to be much progress at all on have provable electronic
identity? If we're not careful, we could lose the community we are
working so hard to build.

Frank