 Administrative / NNTP / 617
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 03:55:20 GMT

In lugnet.lego.direct, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Larry Pieniazek writes:
[...]
I know for a fact that the train contest reminder was posted after the
filter was put in place, based on correspondence. I speculate it was the
Bionicle answers but cannot be sure.

SOMETHING happened but Todd hasn't said what. He may not feel it's relevant
exactly what incident it was, as it may (to him) have been more of an
example of a pattern rather than a seminal event.

Exactly.  The ultimate tipping point was the Bionicle thread on Thursday,
but the tipping point isn't really relevant.  Rather, it was a sudden
realization based on recent events (not the events themselves) that we'd
totally forgotten to put this filter into place back on day 1 when the
lego.* hierarchy was set up.  Until Thursday, I hadn't realized just how
much TLC official business was appearing outside of that area.  I'd noticed
a couple things here and there but it just didn't sink in.  Again, nothing
against Tomas or Jake; this was something that should have been set up a
year ago.

Thus, it was not our intention to make LEGO feel any less welcome, or to
limit its actions apart from what groups it can officially post in.  We also
fully intend to work with Brad and his people to find a solution for the
multiple identity issue so that those who wish to post in an unofficial, fan
capacity will be able to do so with greater ease.

--Todd

I have read through most of this thread and I totally agree with Todd on this.
I also see the issue of AFOL to AFOL discussions in the .lego section a little
more clearly now.  This seems very simple and a very good idea to me.

Discussions (questions, etc.) between Persons acting as an offical voice of TLC
and AFOLs are supposed to be in the .lego groups.  Discussions between AFOLs
and AFOLs should be done in all the other groups but not the .lego ones.
Persons working for TLC can post anywhere they want as Fans. However they
should not post as an offical voice of TLC outside the .lego groups.

I assume this is how we are meant to understand it. Seems simple enough to me.

-Mike Petrucelli