 Administrative / NNTP / 436
Re: The Relationship - LEGO and its Fans (was: Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 00:56:19 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Kingsley writes:

Second, it is purley marketing, the contest is free to join but don't think
LEGO is doing it out of the goodness of their hearts.  It is all to promote
sales of trains and/or bulk bricks.  The better the models that are submitted
then the better stuff they can post which raises the interest in trains for
the more casual fan that isn't here.  Believe me it is all about making money
for LEGO.

I have to ask, so what?  We want to buy their product, and as long as the
groups aren't saturated with marketing (which they aren't), I see no problem.

I think Todd explained things pretty well here:

http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2201

But if you want my *personal* reasons to know what "my point" was I will tell
you.

1.  Time = Money
The time I have to dedicate to reading LUGNET is somewhat limited.  I am not
interested in what contest LEGO is running today, or why Bionicle masks arn't
properly randomized, or that S@H just got some Fort Legorado's in.  I prefer to
*spend* my *time* reading fan posts and looking at pictures of MOC's.

2.  LEGO came here for one reason, to make more Money.
I agree that LEGO should make as much money as they can, but don't do it on my
dime.  If I want to know what LEGO has to say and I have some free time I will
check out the .lego. groups.  My reason for being here is to be with fans.  I
don't plan on consulting for LEGO for free to help them make more money.  I
will gladly spend my money on LEGO but I don't want LUGNET to become a big LEGO
advertising forum.

3.  Other than the very first release of bulk bricks LEGO hasn't posted
anything about the Bulk selection that I didn't already know either from a fan
or having a catalog in hand.  I don't want to read about things I already know
if its avoidable.  Now if LEGO wanted to tell us what is coming in terms of
bulk ordering I would be interested in that but I would like it posted to
.lego.direct or a similar location.  Now I don't think that will happen because
doing so would not be in LEGO's best interest.  For example, if I know part xyz
was going to be available in bulk in 2 months I would stop buying set 1234 to
get those parts right now and that would hurt LEGO's bottom line.

Now those are some of my main reasons for not wanting TLC posts in themed
groups.  I know there are those that disagree with me and thats their right but
I have a right to not want TLC posts in themed groups.  I am also not someone
that thinks we need to lick TLC's boots until they give us what we want.  TLC
will give us what we want to the point that it makes them money, there is
nothing wrong with that but I perfer to be with my peers (LEGO fans on LUGNET)
and see their MOC's.

If you disagree with me I can live with that but just know my position because
its not changing.  Just as I hope you will probably not change yours.

Now I am done explaining "my point".

Eric Kingsley