 Administrative / NNTP / 402
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 15:39:50 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:
Try not to think of it as a restriction so much as harder lines about where
LEGO employees are invited to post in an official manner.  When LEGO Direct
showed up unannounced in December, 1999, it was a jolt to the community.
Certain things just changed overnight -- some for the better, some for the
worse.  We created the special lugnet.lego.* hierarchy of groups later to
help LEGO Direct focus one aspect of its direct-to-consumer communications
channel.  That's why that area exists and why the offer for LEGO to post
here in and among the fan community shouldn't be assumed to extend to all
the groups.  Remember that LUGNET is a site by fans, for fans -- and the
sanctity of the theme groups is vitally important.  It's not necessary for
LEGO to participate in the theme groups (for example) to have a presence
here.

But if someone from TLC is willing and able to answer a question in the
theme areas in an official capacity, why not let them? If they are only
going to be allowed to post in the lugnet.lego hierarchy, we definitely
need to keep the chatter down so that it is easy to find their posts. If
an when someone from TLC is willing to post about the train summit for
example, I want to know about it. I'd rather see that in lugnet.trains,
but if not, I don't want to have to wade through bunches of
"Juniorization Sucks" posts just to find the real tidbit. Now I realize
you are on the track of limiting posting by non-LEGO employees to the
lugnet.lego groups, and this is a good thing (even if they aren't
restricted to where they can post).

I'm just trying to understand what is bad about TLC responding in an
official way to any post anywhere on the system.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com