 Administrative / NNTP / 346
Re: New Bulk Ordering Newsgroup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 16:30:20 GMT

Todd:

My apologies for not getting back to you sooner - I'm catching up on my reading
today.

James, could you give some examples of non-marketplace bulk ordering topics?
Do you mean things like selection, quantities, colors, wish lists, etc., or
things like speculation, excitement, etc.?

Well, really just general discussion of the bulk products.  I don't think that
everything that is said about bulk bricks really needs to go to Lego Direct; "Oh
man, this is cool" and "hey you, this really sucks" posts for the most part can
probably be eliminated to great measure because rant and raves in bulk, are, to
my mind, not a lot different from rants and raves about aquazones, or castle,
for example.  I think that merited Lego Direct posts are things like "May I make
a suggestion..." or questions about future offerings, but in my mind, bulk
bricks are almost like a subtheme...they seem to be a more or less permanent
"system" (for lack of a better word) to the Lego universe.  My comments were
more or less motivated by a desire to keep up with the bulk brick talk without
having to trace it on a dozen fronts.  Also,  I feel that the Direct subgroup
should be a more formal or more serious channel of communication between Lugnet
and the company.  I'm concerned that the noise ration of this group may
discourage the company from keeping up with the posts directed to it.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

james

I personally find bulk ordering
conversation to be of great interest, but often discussions regarding the new
offerings/future speculation/feelings/general excitement/etc., etc. are all over
the map, so it can be a bit of a chore to keep up with it all.  Most of the bulk
talk seems to happen in Direct, Dear Lego, Year, and General, but perhaps a more
centralized forum would be appropriate?

Once upon a time there was a thread about possible subgroups of
lego.direct, such as .bulk, .rant, .rave, .sets, etc....  If we did
something like that for bulk-oriented topics, it would imply participation
(or at least understood reading) by LEGO Direct.  Is this something LEGO
Direct would find useful?  Is the current volume in lugnet.lego.direct too
heavy?  Or not heavy enough, such that subgroups would help encourage more
in-depth discussions?

Outside of .lego.direct.*, I can't think of a compelling location for a
bulk-oriented topics group, and I'm not convinced that fragmentation of such
topics is necessarily bad in the first place (is it?).  I think of it as
just another aspect to the hobby that comes up in virtually every group from
time to time, each with its own take on the issue.

All things considered, I'd probably like to see lugnet.lego.direct.bulk
above anything else, if LEGO Direct would feel comfortable with a certain
level of chatter (speculation, excitement, etc.).

--Todd

[followups to lugnet.admin.nntp]