 Administrative / NNTP / 326
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 02:53:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:

What should we do about the mess that's caused by having .market.auction
separate from .market.buy-sell-trade and more recently the mess that's
caused by a lack of clarity in the T&C (Discussion Group Terms & Conditions)
regarding flogs in themed groups?

There was a thread a couple months ago about possibly reorganizing the
.market area.  I really was serious about that and feel we need to attack
this again.  My current thoughts are along the lines of blowing away the
two groups .market.auction and .market.buy-sell-trade, and creating in
their place the three groups .market.forsale, .market.wanted, and
.market.swap.

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?

My personal view/wish:  I think the whole .bst/.auction area should be replaced
with theme-specific market groups.  Little advertised fact:  not everyone on
LUGNET is a generalist!   I do not read .bst or .auction despite knowing that
I'll be missing stuff I might want, simply because I don't want to have to deal
with the noise.  I realize that some people want to know if some obscure Town
or Duplo set is available.  Fine for them, but it matters not to me.

Consider a scenario where sellers (and perhaps buyers) had a bunch of theme
market groups in which to advertise.  This inhibits the careless from flogging
the real theme group.  It means that people like me are more likely to read the
relevent groups, since we don't have to put up with noise.  This eliminates the
question of "should low-traffic groups allow auction annoucements, since there
are so few Belleville auctions?" (people could just subscribe by e-mail, if it
would really be that low-traffic).  This scheme gets want lists to the people
who are interested in filling them.  Seems better for everyone than the current
setup.

The big danger is spammish crossposting.  The solution is to prohibit
crossposting with these groups.  Surely the software could automagically reject
posts to these "sell" groups that went to more than one group, yes?  Lots for
sale or auction that were truly multiple theme or generic (e.g., straight
bricks) could go into a .sell.general group.  Of course, people could try to
get around this by making separate posts; this would have to be dealt with as
noticed (summary loss of posting priviliges, perhaps?).

Granted, this doesn't really address the original question of sale v. auction
v. trade, but this is the sort of change to .market that would be relevent to
me.

TWS Garrison