 Administrative / NNTP / 325
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 02:10:42 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:

snip
and more recently the mess that's
caused by a lack of clarity in the T&C (Discussion Group Terms & Conditions)
regarding flogs in themed groups?

Lets clear up what is allowed. I think posting that you have parts for a
theme up for sale should not be allowed. Parts are whatever you make of
them, most parts can be any theme you want, even the figs. Sets on the
other hand, are pretty obvious what theme they belong to. Should
flogging sets in themed groups be allowed? I'm not sure. I guess it has
advantages for older complete sets someone is looking to sell. I could see how
somebody selling a 7171 and posting to Star Wars would be annoying. Tough call.

So, speak your opinions on these:

* Add new group lugnet.rant or lugnet.lego.rant?  Why or why not?
* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?
* Add new group lugnet.debate?  Why or why not?

lugnet.rave...I'd rather see it named .praise. When I think of ranting &
raving negativity come to mind on both words. Describing someone as a
raving lunatic is not particularly positive, despite what Websters says.

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?

I'd really hate to see .auction and .market.buy-sell-trade mushed into
one group. I think there's a pretty big group of people who don't have
the time to track or money to compete in auctions and wouldn't want to
mess with the traffic of .auction.

For those who do enjoy auctions, I agree with Rose that there should be 2
groups for auctions,
market.auction.Ebay and market.auction.nonebay. (eBay).

I think we don't hear the "I hate ebay" song so much anymore because
it's an old one which most people sing in their heads. I *think* most
people who don't want ebay info filter ebay and those who are doing the
postings are putting ebay in the subject line as a courtesy.

I think one issue that needs to be clarified is where these types of
posts go:
I have XXX I'm going to auction soon, but I'll take offers before I do.

Maybe a .offer group?

I don't think .wanted is too good of an idea, unless all replies went
directly into the posters email. The potential number of replies could be quite
high and I don't think they would serve a purpose to be posted to Lugnet.

I don't think I like .swap, because it's too compartmentalized.Many
people are willing to buy or trade for pieces.

(I did think that lugnet.swaporama could be fun. Kinda like a jambalya
for two.List on your member page what you are willing to let go of and people
could put together lists of what they would trade you for and then both people
could work out a deal.)

* How much and what type of flogging would you like to see in .loc groups?
None?  Some?  Anything goes?  Only certain types?  Why or why not?

I think it's fine if someone sees a local toy shop is having a sale to
post the info at the local level. When Wal-mart or Target goes clearance
crazy it would be nice if those posts went to .shopping with a cross
post to .loc. The poster could state what specific location they saw the
sale as well as clue the rest of the country to go check their local
stores.

...and those are my thoughts, thanks for asking!
Julie