 Administrative / NNTP / 307
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:52:04 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:

I'm concerned about seeing protracted debates in .general or other places.
The .general group is (or should be) kept as "sacred" as possible as a
friendly meeting spot.  Well, .build should be even more sacred than
general, for that matter, but I don't remember seeing debates start in the
.build area.

Umm.  I dunno.  If that's the kind of traffic you want to unload, then
certainly a lugnet.debate group is the way to go.

Uh.  I didn't say that everything else *was* an auction, I just said that
everything else *belonged* in auction.  Feel free to rename auction in that
instance as is appropriate.

I'm sorry, that didn't come out right.  What I meant was, if it belonged in
.auction and it isn't really an auction, then we'd need some other name
because .auction wouldn't make sense...which is what you just replied.  Any
suggestions?

Oh, ok.  Well, then, I am useless to you, because I have no ideas. :D

lugnet.not-a-straight-sale is unweildly.

I suppose you could have lugnet.market.sale (defined as only straight sales),
lugnet.market.auction (with a note saying that for Lugnet purposes, OBOs were
SBAs and belonged here), and lugnet.market.special (or .other, or .freaky or
what have you) for things that don't quite fit (like trades, etc).

But that's about the best I can come up with.

eric

"NNTP administration is hard.  Let's go shopping!"