 Administrative / NNTP / 305
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 20:29:21 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:
Ok, to be more clear about it:  I would rather see this problem dealt with
than
see the group made to try and cause it to happen organically.

It's not -just- that, though...  It's also that we don't have any "on-topic"
type of debate group,

What about lugnet.general?  That's a basic group for talking about LEGO.  Human
interaction (in an NNTP type forum) only comes in so many flavors, and debate
is a big one.

Agree strongly.  Force it to include a price and be first come first serve,
and
anything else by the definition of the Lugnet TOS belongs in Auction.

That sounds like a great way to define a straight sale!  Is everything else
though really an auction?

Uh.  I didn't say that everything else *was* an auction, I just said that
everything else *belonged* in auction.  Feel free to rename auction in that
instance as is appropriate.

Nowhere in the Lugnet TOS (that I'm aware of)
does it say that anything outside the lugnet.loc.* hierarchy must be posted
in
English.  If a lugnet.market.loc hierarchy were formed, I feel relatively
certain that lugnet.market.loc.it (for example) would not be a group posted
regularly in English.

True, but it would be more welcoming to .it folks if it were in directly
part of the .loc.it hierarchy, wouldn't it?

How?  Are you assuming that anyone from a non-english speaking country is going
to get lost in the big, bad hierarchichal structure of Lugnet? :D

I don't think it's any more or less welcoming to have it in a defined place in
the hierarchy.  Personally, I think that having it in a place outside the
regular lugnet.loc.* scheme will encourage more interaction, because it will
have people looking outside the lugnet.loc.* hierarchy.

(Let's hear from some .it
folks?)  I'm also really thinking .de here.

That would be the best way to tell, of course.

Plus, the word "market" is English, which doesn't help friendliness toward
other languages.  Other languages might call it .marché (.fr), .markt (.de),
.mercato (.it, .br, .es), etc.

Uh.  Well, there are ways to abreviate it and make it more recognisable, I
guess, but the reality is that the main language on the Internet by *far* is
English.  I think most foreign language Lugnet users would not be offended or
confused by lugnet.market.loc.*.

On the other hand, defining things like lugnet.loc.fr.marche and declaring them
"market" groups still retains the effect of "market posts outside market groups
are disallowed" as being a blanket, non-ambiguous general statement.

But on the other hand, for some reason I
don't yet understand, people in those areas get annoyed by all the groups.
(Why would this be?)

I don't know why people would be annoyed by it.  Personally, I like it.  I read
lugnet.loc.us, lugnet.loc.us.ma, and lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos.  I think it would be
foolish to get rid of lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos and assume that all the traffic that
goes there will simply migrate up to lugnet.loc.us.ma- I think that to the
contrary, Boston-specific messages would be less likely to ever get posted.

eric