 Administrative / NNTP / 270
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:59:39 GMT

So, speak your opinions on these:

* Add new group lugnet.rant or lugnet.lego.rant?  Why or why not?

* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?

* Add new group lugnet.debate?  Why or why not?

I like the idea for all of these although I can see quite a bit of crossposting
between .debate and the other 2.  Maybe these groups should have restricted
cross-posting?  I.E. No cross posting at all or the only crossposting would be
allowed if you are responding to another post outside of these and set the
follow-up to one of these.  Then for that post and that post only it can exist
in multiple groups (kind of like .announce now but only in a reply to another
thread).

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?

No real thoughts here.

* How much and what type of flogging would you like to see in .loc groups?
None?  Some?  Anything goes?  Only certain types?  Why or why not?

As long as it applies to the .loc group I don't see why not.  Might be hard to
manage though.  Maybe you can set up an "admin" for each of the .loc groups
that would be responsible for monitoring TOS compliance and reporting problems?

* Axe regional subgroups of lugnet.loc.xx and field requests for new
subgroups on a country-by-country basis -- let them grow organically?
Why or why not?

Well this doesn't really affect me but I would suggest maybe holding the
hierarchy of .loc.ca as well as the .loc.us.  I am kind of supprised that the
hierarchy of .loc.au doesn't get used more because of the physical size of the
country.

* Move lugnet.trains.org to lugnet.org.train/ltc/etc., and move
lugnet.castle.org to lugnet.org.castle, and move lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
to lugnet.org.cad.ldraw (or something)?  Why or why not?

Now this is what I am interested in.  I was actually just thinking about how
annoying the current structure is with LUG's grouped together but all the other
groups spread throughout the rest of the subgroups.

Their are a couple of issues in that some of the orgs that you mention arn't
regional orgs like .ldraw and .cw so a .loc feel to the group doesn't make
sense.  I would hate to see the .org groups move under the .loc hierarchy.  I
think that would be a mess and much of the cross-organizational talk that now
occurs would be lost.  I guess I will try and start some brainstorming.  How
about the following....

.org

.org.lug
.org.lug.nelug
.org.lug.nalug  (this would do away with regional associations and orgs)
  or
.org.lug.us.nelug
.org.lug.ca.nalug  (this would basically insert the .lug group into the
                        current hierarchy)

.org.ltc
.org.mug (mindstorms/robotics groups, there are a couple)
   (these 2 would have a similar structure to the .lug hierarchy)

.org.cad
.org.castle
.org.town
   (these I wonder about how many sub-groups there could possibly be.  I
suppose .cad could have .ldraw, .mlcad, .parts and maybe .castle could break
into subthemes like .ninja or .knightskingdom but I really think .orgs at that
level of granularity are unlikely at the moment.  I guess I struggle with these
because they are not regionally based like the LUG, LTC, and MUG groups)

Personally I don't know why the LTC's seem to frown upon lower levels of the
.train.org hierarchy.  I find the .nelug group very useful and it is
complimented by our mailing-list for those few issues we need to take off-line.
I guess if a group doesn't want its own newsgroup then you probably shouldn't
set it up.

One really good thing I can see the individual .org groups doing in the future
is facilitating combined efforts between 2 or more groups.  For example say
there were a train show in Hartford CT.  This is about equidistant between
Boston, where most NELUG stuff happens at the moment, and New York which is
GardenSLUG territory.  Maybe NELUG and GardenSLUG could do the show together as
a combined effort and having the 2 newsgroups to crosspost between are great.
It is near impossible to crosspost between mailing-lists.

I hope that helps a bit to get discussion going.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/