 Administrative / NNTP / 269
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:50:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
I'd like to kick off a discussion about the current state of the newsgroup
structure here -- missing groups, unnecessary, groups, annoyingly or
confusingly named groups, etc.
[...]
I'm rather dismayed as to how few AFOLs have come online outside of the
U.S. since 1998.  It's been a lot, to be sure, but I really expected 10
times as many.

You have to realize that the language barrier can refrain many from joining
lugnet in the first place - if you don't know there are any local groups,
which you can understand, you don't search for them through the main site in
a language you are no so fluent in.

Also, how to _know_ that lugnet exists? No Swedish magazines/newspapers have
written about lugnet (as far as I know), so how do you find it?

I just put in a search for 'lego discussion' at the main Swedish search engine:
http://evreka.passagen.se/query?q=%22lego+discussion%22&pg=q&kl=&what=web
and it didn't show anything from lugnet on the first pages.

I also did a search for 'lugnet', and again, nothing...

If you really _want_ foreign AFOLS to gather round the lugnet center, you
have to swallow your pride, and start to seed the search engines world-wide,
making sure the lugnet main page gets a _high_ score... Also try to get the
sites that reviews other sites to write about lugnet.

[...]
So, speak your opinions on these:

* Add new group lugnet.rant or lugnet.lego.rant?  Why or why not?
No opinion - I wouldn't read it anyway.

* Add new group lugnet.rave or lugnet.lego.rave?  Why or why not?
No opinion - I wouldn't read it anyway.

* Add new group lugnet.debate?  Why or why not?
As this would mean one more place where threads got FUT-ed, I disagree.
Beeing an off-line modem-connected reader, I just hate it when an
interesting discussion FUTs to some group I don't download - there is just
not enough time to start downloading a new group just to follow one thread,
and on-line reading is not an option for the moment. It's much easier to
skip some unwanted messages in a group I already downloaded.

* Delete lugnet.market.auction and lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade and replace
these with lugnet.market.forsale, lugnet.market.wanted, and lugnet.market
.swap?  Why or why not?
Not beeing into the market thing, I can only say ISTM that this change makes
good sense.

* How much and what type of flogging would you like to see in .loc groups?
None?  Some?  Anything goes?  Only certain types?  Why or why not?
Sharing shop finds is OK. Repeated commercial activity should be in
.loc.se.market or some such.

* Axe regional subgroups of lugnet.loc.xx and field requests for new
subgroups on a country-by-country basis -- let them grow organically?
Why or why not?
For Sweden - just cut them all. Only .loc.se has _any_ traffic (OK, perhaps
keep Stockholm, that's 12% of the population, but the group seems as empty
as the others...)

* Move lugnet.trains.org to lugnet.org.train/ltc/etc., and move
lugnet.castle.org to lugnet.org.castle, and move lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
to lugnet.org.cad.ldraw (or something)?  Why or why not?
Seems logical.

Just my 0.02 SEK
Anders Isaksson, Sweden