 Administrative / NNTP / 268
Re: Newsgroup structure: some tough decisions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 13:39:50 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, David Zorn writes:
I would recommend 1 new group: lugnet.lego.rant/rave since I think they are
best given the same weight and mostly because I fear people saying "compare
the number of posts in rant v. rave and see how much Lego stinks now." We
know that people seem more inclined to kvetch than laud. So such comparisons
would be good debate fodder but meaningless. If you reject this then I think
both groups are needed to allow for both opinions, but I would not limit
them to lego.rant or lego.rave to make the aforementioned comparisons more
difficult.

Ah, that's another advantage to their being top-level groups and not part of
the .lego.* subhierarchy.  I'm glad you pointed that out -- I hadn't seen
that.

I think it's important that they be separate groups because of their
naturally separate tones and because they're going to have different people
subscribing.  Reading a group of all raves could also be a lot of fun --
very pleasant, hopefully.

I'm not worried about people making meaningless comparisons, and anyone at
LEGO who saw it would understand that it was meaningless.  Having the groups
open to ongoing followup discussions is an important thing and will help the
numbers become more fuzzy and less meaningful.  (I'm convinced that no
matter what happens, someone will compare the numbers every so often...but
if it's all fuzzy, then no harm done.)

--Todd