 Administrative / NNTP / 162
Re: Request for groups: movies/LEGO Studio
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:09:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Todd Lehman writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Jeff Johnston writes:
I think that as more people buy and begin using LEGO Studio, there are going
to be more films posted and talked about on LUGNET. I'd like to propose the
following new groups:

lugnet.studios - the 'theme group', for discussion of the sets themselves.

lugnet.movies - links to movies, discussion of moviemaking techniques, SFX,
lighting.  (Not limited to LEGO Studios.)

Since there isn't a lugnet.software hierarchy, I think that questions/
discussion specifically about the Spielberg movie set, the camera, and
included software would go into lugnet.studios, while .movies would be for
more general discussion.  There would naturally be a fair amount of
crossover but the topics are different enough to warrant two groups IMHO.

What say you, O Toddly One?

I think those names sound like a good start, but if one is a subset of the
other (that is, both are for movies but one is more general than the other),
then they ought to be named lugnet.x and lugnet.x.y rather than lugnet.x and
lugnet.x.y -- if that makes any sense.

Only in your head... ;-)

It would be especially nice if we could draw together stop-motion animation
movies, computer animation, photography techniques, etc. into a group or group
or groups.  Right now we've got a pretty specific group .cad.ray for
raytracing, a pretty general group .publish for photography, and nothing
for moving pictures, animated or otherwise -- but they're all somewhat
related.

--Todd

So what you are saying is we should have a group like .images then sub groups
like .images.movies, .images.photography, etc... and links on the .images html
page to .cad.ray et al?

You know what Todd this kinda reminds me of a problem city planners have... You
see at every intersection you have crosswalks for pedestrians. the problem here
is two special needs groups. Those who are physically challenged that need the
curb to ramp the sidewalk to the roadway allowing them easy access to cross and
the blind who would prefer to have a curb that makes it easy to distinguish
between sidewalk and roadway with a cane. Either way you cannot entirely
accomodate both groups. All that said...

I think you should keep Studios in the theme portion of the hierarchy and the
movies in the other portion (non-theme). As far as .cad.ray is concerned, it
can stay where it is. Yes, there will always be an overlap between the groups
but you need to draw a line and established groups should not be effected too
much. After all, if .cad.ray is removed out of .cad then .cad is incomplete.

Then of course you can add links to your heart's desire on the .publish group
html page to all of your creations.

OR

.publish becomes the root and you add .publish.movies and .publish.photo and
add a link on the .publish html to .cad.ray

Wow, from a simple question to understand what Todd meant, this post has become
a group of vaguely related thoughts. Thanks Todd, you warped my mind with your
illogical logic. ;-)

Jude