 Administrative / NNTP / 1586 (-10)
  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Because I am presenting a case to the admin, and also for the fact that I have decided to no longer contribute or participate in any group on LUGNET that is publically off-topic (I now have them skip-filtered in the meantime) But you are (...) (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Yeah, there will always be exceptions WRT to maturity below the age of 18 (and above, for that matter!), but 18 happens to be really convenient because every member stated truthfully that they were 18 or older when they signed up for LUGNET, (...) (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) John, it seems like the sum of your point is that there should be nothing on LUGNET that isn't directly about LEGO. If that's right, why do you contribute to .o-t.d? It seems a little off. Chris (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Actually, it is my whole argument:-) I know that 18 is rather an arbitrary number, but here in the US it is considered to be THE age at which adulthood begins legally (except to drink alcohol, but that is another topic altogether) JOHN (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) There have always been bad parents, and there always will be bad parents. But that doesn't release Todd from choosing to make LUGNET completely kid-safe IMO (...) Exactly. Which is why we all need to take the responsibility on ourselves to (...) (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Parents who use the internet as a babysitter need to get their collective heads out of the clouds and get interested in what their kids are doing. The internet isn't safe, and it never will be without strict governmental control. And you know (...) (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

At SIXTEEN a person can be married (in this country anyway (Britain)) You have to have a pretty good idea of sexuality for that (well hopefully anyway!) Tim (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) I know that this is a small part of your argument but I fail to see the relevance of blocking parts of Lugnet to under 18 year olds. people under 18 can be 'Lavender' (I can't remember the acronym off the top my head!) Tim (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Our kids are taught difference, whether we intend it to happen or not. When I was growing up, I remember one of the most common playground insults (along with being stupid or throwing like a girl) was to call someone gay. (...) Discrimination (...) (20 years ago, 22-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

  Re: Why these news groups were created

(...) Well, the first line is "where minds connect". I agree with that assessment. Now, I'm not really sure what being "home to thousands of LEGO fans of all ages" means. Certainly many people come to LUGNET to connect, but is it really a "home"? (...) (20 years ago, 23-Sep-04, to lugnet.admin.nntp, FTX)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact