 Administrative / NNTP / 1403
Re: LEGOFan.net - central community run hub for all areas of the LEGO community.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:12:40 GMT

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Kevin Salm wrote:

Where Lugnet totally missed the boat was with _PRIVATE_ message boards.
Lugnet never created this function and so there are dozens and dozens of
private Lego-related message boards.  EZBoard is nice; Yahoo Groups has
its advantages, too, as do other message board services, but it would
have been ideal for Lugnet to have developed private message boards.

There are actually three functionalities that are desired here:

1) Some posts may only be read by members of a group---for example, those
who have e-mailed the curator[1] requesting permission to read private
posts.  Specifying on the users side how to indicate that a particular
post is "private" is a major issue (unless every post is "private", which
seems unnecessary), the other being ease of use for NNTP readers.  This
can easily be transparent for members reading via the web interface or for
those reading via SMTP.  SMTP setup should include an option to use SMTP
for only those messages which are private (this is also a useful kludge
for NNTP readers).  When read by a non-authorized SMTP or NNTP reader, the
message should say "This message is private.  Go to <URL> to read if
authorized to do so."

2) Curator must have a known and previously agreed ability and
responsibility to cancel posts that should have been private but were not
(i.e., replies to private posts that include confidential information that
should have been trimmed from a public reply).

3) (Some) Newsgroups may only accept posts from those whom the curator has
specified may post.  (I believe that this functionality has already been
implemented on LUGNET, but I don't know who chooses who can post where.)
Those who may post may or may not be the same as those who can read
private messages.  I don't really like this option, but I can see how
LUGs might want to stop outsiders from butting into their discussions.

--
TWS Garrison
http://www.morfydd.net/twsg/

[1] I say curator throughout only because that is an obvious choice for
who has these tasks, but the curator is not the only choice.