 Administrative / NNTP / 1008
Re: New newsgroup for MOC announcements
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:49:33 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Felix Greco writes:
there be a section on the main page for this group eventually?

Yes. In fact, we're working on a LUGNET MOC of the Week feature to display
the hot models there.

This sounds great, but is there any way we could have this newsgroup
more prominently featured on the main page?  Like, more than just a
link, maybe a picture or something to that effect?  I think thats one of the
reasons a lot of people posted to announce.  I know I did sometimes
because, to be honest, the main reason I come to Lugnet is to see
MOCs.

I agree. Pictures are pretty. Among other things: they would continuously
freshen up the home page; they'd serve as an additional honor for the
featured builder; and they invite new visitors inside.

Have a look at this earlier idea, halfway down in his message:

  http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=9930

Our current concern is about making the feature very clean and simple for
its curator to keep updated. We want lots of automation, yet it's not void
of human decision making. Pictures involve selection, and often cropping, etc.

I'd most like to see a juicy picture of the model with its title and author
listed below, and a link to their announcement post. Probably a link to info
about the feature itself too, so people will understand how it works. BTW, I
imagine that info will be found in the sidebar of the new group's web page:

  http://news.lugnet.com/announce/moc/

Method of selection is also an issue, of course, but I'm hoping we can leave
it up to a single individual's good-taste rather than via voting, ratings, etc.

-Suz

LUGNET Admin