 Administrative / General / 9486
Re: Et in Arcadia Lego - new MOCs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 02:50:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jennifer L. Boger writes:
AFAIK there has not been a drop in traffic, at least, not a significant one.
I think that we also need to keep in mind that it's summer (at least here
in the US) and a lot of people are taking vacations... and that not everyone
uses the SMTP or NNTP posting method.

   Yep.  That.  I switched over to Web posting while in Europe;
   I stayed on it now that I'm back, even though I'm not on the
   T3 pipe (droooool) anymore.

Honestly, if someone says "why should i waste the extra time replying", i'm
not sure they were ever going to post to begin with, authentication or not.

   I'd have to agree with Jennifer--although maybe it does make
   the difference when talking about "ooh cool" two-word posts.
   I'm not trying to diminish their value to the recipient--it
   *is* after all a valid form of feedback, even if rather simplistic--
   but if *thoughtful* feedback was intended then it would be made
   regardless.

ps: i like it, i don't know if i'm posting more or less, because it's really
not any inconvenience to me... and yes, i use the SMTP method, not web. (this
time excluded)

   Isn't there any way to log IPs for login, allowing people to
   send authentication *once* via email or log in via web (e.g.,
   the "keep me logged in until I log off manually" cookie) and
   then post from their NNTP reader?  I know that most dialup and
   DSL/Cable users have dynamically assigned IP addresses, but
   if one could make authentication *one* step for many posts
   rather than one step per post, it might make the verbose among
   us (*coff* *coff* *Mark* *coff* ;) ) less exhausted with the
   rote chores involved.

   But then again, what do I know?  I'm just a duck.

   best

   Lindsay