 Administrative / General / 9217
  Re: I'm back...

(...) Is the usual method easy to fake out, then? By "the usual method" I mean the system we used back when I was an undergraduate, where every post to an all-campus distribution list would cause an automated response to the originating e-mail, (...) (23 years ago, 27-May-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I'm back...

(...) Sounds like something that may very well be a standard option in list management/distrobution software, but may not be applicable, without additional coding, to the method Todd uses to take posts from email and zap them into the news server. (...) (23 years ago, 27-May-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I'm back...

(...) Are there any verification things that are part of the official NNTP protocol? If not, then anyone who uses a standard old newsreader could end up being out of luck. I use 'gnus' inside Gnu emacs, for example. I also have absolutely no idea (...) (23 years ago, 28-May-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  (canceled)

  Re: I'm back...

(...) Every news reader I've used on a PC (Outlook Express, Netscape Communicator, and WinVN) has had the ability to authenticate. Frank (23 years ago, 28-May-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I'm back...

(...) Gnus handles NNTP servers that need password authentication just fine. At least for fairly new versions of Gnus. If you have GNU Emacs 20.x, you should be fine. You can also specify the username and password required in an rc file, so that you (...) (23 years ago, 28-May-01, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: I'm back...

(...) Of course, once authenticated as anybody, you can post as anyone else with ease, neh? (23 years ago, 29-May-01, to lugnet.admin.general)