 Administrative / General / 9194
Re: Security (was: Re: I'm back...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:45:10 GMT

Because this is an open forum, based on trust: no passwords are required • to
actually post something. Based on the info I'm required to type in to • post a
message I think anyone can post using the right name and email address
combination (which are included in every post).
The only way I can think of to make it more 'secure' is to include • something
that is personal to the poster like a password. The downside ofcourse is
that it makes it 'less' accessable for first time/casual visitors.

Another way of doing it is like how IRC servers recognize users, by
their IP.  Just tryin to help.  `, )

How would that work with people who have a dialup-account and no fixed IP?
What about users behind a firewall (multiple users with one IP)? The other
way around: what if people post from different locations (multiple IPs per
person: people who are in another country and want to post a FOTY?). How do
these IRC servers deal with that?
A password system would be IMHO more convenient.

-Frank