 Administrative / General / 9193
Re: Security (was: Re: I'm back...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:31:20 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jaco van der Molen writes:
<disregard the from field>

BTW: how is he stealing the user-names?

Because this is an open forum, based on trust: no passwords are required to
actually post something. Based on the info I'm required to type in to post a
message I think anyone can post using the right name and email address
combination (which are included in every post).
The only way I can think of to make it more 'secure' is to include something
that is personal to the poster like a password. The downside ofcourse is
that it makes it 'less' accessable for first time/casual visitors.

-Frank

Trimmed groups and FUP: admin.general

Another way of doing it is like how IRC servers recognize users, by
their IP.  Just tryin to help.  `, )

-Matthew

Ok, I see this in the top part:
Re: Security (was: Re: I'm back...)

From:
jmolen@globalxs.nl (Jaco van der Molen)
Jaco van der Molen

Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general

Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:08:03 GMT

Now if all you need to spoof somebodys name is this:
jmolen@globalxs.nl (Jaco van der Molen)
then why post this for everybody to see?? I mean their real name and email
is duplicated just below it, so whats the point of putting their login
information out for anybody to see? What happens when somebody takes Jake's
name and email and makes a fake Lego post? This seeme easily fixed for
future use, but what about looking up old posts with this information pasted
everywhere?
Scott C.