 Administrative / General / 9024
Re: Web interface "quirk"?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:09:56 GMT

I am not sure I have the followup set right. I don't quite grasp if web
interface issues belong in .general or .nntp (neither does the filter
discussion belong in .nntp, but I digress).

It could probably go in either, but since this is news-related, I'm more
comfortable with it being in the .nntp group.  If you're talking about the
TLC filter, that's pretty much entirely and .nntp thing.

I have noticed the following behaviour which seems quirky to me, it has to
do with following posts linearly and the context in which one does so.
[...]
This strikes me as a quirk, because it means that if I want to view posts
linearly within a context, I have to choose which particular post I start
from. I can't just choose my first unread because it may put me in the wrong
context.

Ya, it's a quirk (and I find it kind of annoying at times).

I could be misremembering but I seem to remember it didn't work that way
before. Did it?

As long as the numeric forward/backward links have been there, yes.

I would suggest that the url that I see for 592/2261, if I am looking at it
in the list of admin.nntp posts, ought to be generated as

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/nntp/?n=592
rather than
http://news.lugnet.com/lego/direct/?n=2261

The way it works is:  If you're clicking forward or backward numerically in
some group, you'll stay "in" the context of that group -- the numbers won't
go squiffy.  But if you jump into an article by clicking on its subject
line, the URL it uses is the article's "canonical" URL, which it builds
using the first newsgroup in the 'Newsgroups:' header.

However (and I am speculating here without code base knowledge) I can also
see how that might be quite *hard to do* in the general case, especially
when it's not a list of posts I got to via a particular newsgroup, since
deriving the desired context may not always be straightforward and just
taking the first group named is simple.

Ya, exactly...it's not straightforward, but with a little rework it could be
pretty straightforward to fix.  The part that generates the URL of an
article doesn't get passed any current context of preference.

--Todd