 Administrative / General / 8920
Re: Does lugnet.castle.org really need to exist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:05:31 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Nathan McDowell writes:
[...] We really don't need the basic
castle.org unless there is more than one castle organization-

Its purpose is actually for talking about Castle-type organizations and
related activities whether those organizations exist or not -- i.e., to help
organize new organizations -- meta discussions.  So it's intended to be a
dead-traffic group except for those times that those sorts of discussions
are needed.  The .trains.org group gets significantly more traffic than the
.castle.org group because there are a half dozen or so train clubs and only
one so far has requested a dedicated subgroup for their club.

Do people who subscribe to the 'castle.org.cw' group get all the
'castle.org' postings?

Only if they read both.  If they get news via NNTP or SMTP (email), they'd
have to explicitly subscribe to both.  If they read via HTTP (web), they'll
get both .castle.org.cw and .castle.org if they read .castle.org or .castle,
unless they're viewing the groups without subgroups.

--Todd