 Administrative / General / 8906
Re: Does lugnet.castle.org really need to exist?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 05:27:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz writes:
Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.castle.org, Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> writes:
I'm curious as to whether we really need lugnet.castle.org any more?

Is it getting in the way?

It has been posted to occaisionally over the past year or so, but
none of the posts really belong there (being either completely
non-organizational in nature, or being Castleworld related).

Just me and my compartmentalized dork view of the world...

Well, we could make it non-postable-to (read-only) but it'd hate to just
delete it altogether once it has posts in it.

I agree that deleting it is bad, and it even potentially serves a future
purpose. It would be a good place to discuss the castle equivalent of
the Piratefest that is being planned (keeping the discussion accessible
to castle folks yet out of lugnet.castle). The thing which bugs me
mildly is when it gets posted to when it really isn't the right place.

I'm guilty of posting to the .castle.org group when I meant to post to the
.castle.org.cw group.  It's a slip that's just too easy to pull off and I
bet that 95% or more of the .castle.org postings/replies were meant for the
.castle.org.cw group.  It's rather easy to forget adding the little '.cw' on
the newsgroup you're posting to when you're working with the web interface
and not really paying much attention.  We really don't need the basic
castle.org unless there is more than one castle organization- if that
happens people might be more careful to type in the correct name of the
newsgroup they're posting to, but it's not going to happen anytime soon I
don't think.

Do people who subscribe to the 'castle.org.cw' group get all the
'castle.org' postings?  People might be missing out, I don't really know, I
use the web interface.  Just wondering.

As I said, I'm rather of a comparmentalized dork (there's nothing like
defusing an insult by willingly taking it on as a label for
oneself...:-) and I just find my skin tingling when nicely laid out
organization is misused (on the other hand, I also hate categorizing and
pigeon holing things, so go figure).

Well, I'll go back to washing and sorting (oh, and buying...) LEGO (see
the compartmentalized dork in me doesn't even need to actually BUILD
with the LEGO to have fun, I can just spend two years plus of my free
time SORTING!)

Frank

Sorting ROCKS!... well... then again... maybe not =)
~Nathan