 Administrative / General / 8706
Re: 'My recent LUGNET Posts' idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 23:48:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney writes:
[...]
I know you and I talked some about member number being directly associated
with a poster (which you said currently it is not) - what's the timeframe
for overhauling the way that works, and implementing some of the ideas we
discussed?  I have a feeling that this would have to be in place before my
above suggestion could work.

It would be a preprequisite, yes, since the association table which would
map 'From:' lines to member id's (and vice-versa) would make the rest much
simpler.  Once that's done (and I haven't begun to attack the problem yet
but am becoming increasingly convinced that it is inevitable), things like
linking to a member profile page from a message become very, very easy, and
things like lists of posts by member id become much less difficult.

I came across an article last month in the current issue of The Perl Journal
in which the author was solving a similar problem -- matching up two similar
lists of names but taking slight differences into account with probabilities.
IIRC, it had a library of names and other bags of tricks for determining that,
for example, Bob Snodgrass and Robert H. Snodgrass are more similar than
different -- helping to match up near-matches.

The upside is that it's possible to get a large percentage of names matched
up quickly and easily.  The downside is that the rest of those that can be
matched up have to be matched up by hand.  Thus, it probably needs to be a
very incremental approach.

--Todd