 Administrative / General / 8470
Re: Strange Duplicate Messages.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 17:57:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
This one is wierd...

I posted this message last night around 10pm EST (approx).

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=13455

Now suddenly for no reason 2 duplicates of that message just appeared.

http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=13458
http://news.lugnet.com/robotics/?n=13459

I have no idea how this could have happened.  Anyway I don't think I
initiated these but I don't otherwise know why it would have happened.

Just thought you might want to look at it.  At the very least could you
cancel the dupe's

Well, the good news is that, as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong with
the news server.  The bad news is that, apparently, your web browser actually
did submit the post three times.  According to HTTP form the logs, the
timestamps of the posting via HTTP were:

   Tue Dec 12 22:22:07 EST 2000
   Wed Dec 13 12:55:08 EST 2000
   Wed Dec 13 12:55:23 EST 2000

and they were all posted from the same IP address (apparently a static IP
addres on mediaone.net).  The raw low-level HTTP logs match the raw form logs.

The timestamps on the articles that appeared are:

   Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:22:07 GMT
   Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:55:11 GMT
   Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:55:25 GMT

so these all match up within 2 seconds.  (Note that they are expressed in two
different timezones but they represent essentially the same time.)  If there
was a large time discrepancy in any of the timings, I'd be inclined to worry
that the article got "stuck" somewhere, but to the contrary, everything that
I can find out points to your browser having actually initiated two additional
posting requests.

--Todd

p.s.  I canceled the duplicates.