 Administrative / General / 812
Re: Line wrapping in lugnet.cad.dat files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:09:05 GMT

legoverse@geocities.com (Terry K) writes:

LOL!!  :)  Ooops, duh, that's my fault...it should certainly make exceptions
for control messages, shouldn't it.  I'll log that as a bug.  Thanks for
discovering and reporting.

I feel like a beta tester...
:-)

Cool, you can test away some more then, if you like...

With regard to logging it as a bug, I thought about the problem a bit more
and decided to fix it right away rather than queueing it up.  The same part
of the code which checks for special things like lugnet.cad.dat requiring
DAT content also checks special things like lugnet.announce requiring that
'Followup-To' be set to another group.  In other words, the problem you
discovered isn't indigenous to lugnet.cad.dat; it also was preventing people
from easily cancelling articles in lugnet.announce.

So the newsserver now ignores those special ng-checks if the article is a
control message.  A [pedantically annoying] side-effect of this fix is that
you can now set followups to lugnet.cad.dat or lugnet.announce in a cancel
message, but that's a harmless side-effect.  (Normally, those two groups are
dis-allowed in the 'Followup-To' header.

p.s.  Forgot to set your line length back down to a <80 value...

Dang.  You mean it _must_ be less than 80?

Well, you -ought- to set it to something like 76 or 77 or 74 for normal text
postings...otherwise you annoy people by with articles that wrap funny-like
or go off the edge of the screen (depending on how their newsreader displays
wide articles).

Text in the bodies of news articles should (generally) not go wider than 79
characters, with exceptions such as big URLs.

I thought I might be able to leave a comfortable margin in there.
Guess I'll have to use my trusty o'l memory to remember to... ah,  to.. what
were we talking about?

You set it to 999 in Free Agent when posting .DAT content -- good
comfortable margin there, but you forgot to set it back to something
reasonalbe for text -- after posting the .DAT content.

What about those occasional posts where the text just keeps going off to the
right side?  Are those posts made from the web?  And is that the users fault or
something with the web interface?

Some of each.  Early versions of the web interface relied on the WRAP=HARD
attribute of the <TEXTAREA> tag for wrapping at 79 characters.  Not all web
browsers support this, so about a month ago or so the web interface was
tweaked so that it wraps wide text down to 79 characters if the web browser
neglects to do so.  If you see wide articles that were just recently posted,
it's someone's e-mail editor or newsreader set up wrong.

--Todd