 Administrative / General / 7838
  Reducing fussiness in automated password appraisal

Many people feel that the Member password checks on LUGNET are overly stringent -- that it is too hard to come up with a good password that passes the strength appraisal: (URL) is also comfortable to remember. In anticipation of lowering the (...) (24 years ago, 3-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.off-topic.geek, lugnet.people, lugnet.general)

  Re: Reducing fussiness in automated password appraisal

(...) Certainly *way* easier to pass. I'd even suggest using level 3. Level 2 passes "c00l!" (just barely). Would it be possible to kick up the relative strength of the dictionary check a bit? (24 years ago, 3-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Reducing fussiness in automated password appraisal

(...) I found a big difference too. I have 4 or 5 passwords I use for my "non-critical" logins, and on the old system (lvl 2) they got a mixture of good & weak. On the new system they all get great on lvl 2 and good on lvl 3, so I agree, maybe lvl 3 (...) (24 years ago, 5-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.general)

  Re: Reducing fussiness in automated password appraisal

(...) I'd say level 2 is too easy. My current password doesn't fail until level 8. And one I'm playing with, trying to get the pattern down in my head and with my fingers, gets an outstanding even at level 12. (24 years ago, 8-Oct-00, to lugnet.admin.general)