 Administrative / General / 71
Re: Q: Follow-Up Tag
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:38:53 GMT

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:29:36 GMT, Thomas Main <main@appstate.edu>
wrote:

Forgive my ignorance on these matters, but I have some questions about
how these newsgroups will work.

1) When a thread gets off-topic in a group, is it diverted to another
group where it would be on topic?

Not automatically. And depends on the thread. I would not think you
should worry about a couple of off-topic posts that come up in the
conversation in a group. BEcause trying to divert those would do more
to distract from the conversation than the off-topic posts did in the
first place. Conversations do migrate, to some extent.

OTOH, if an off-topic discussion starts, it should probably be moved
to the on-topic forum for having such a discussion. It takes a
judgement call on the part of the participants.

2) Is this what the Follow-Up To: tag is for?

Yes

3) Who redirects the thread?

The person posting the message

4) Does this prevent the thread from growing in the original newsgroup?

IF enough people carry the off-topic conversation to the new group,
and the newsgroup regulars don't want to off-topic conversation there
and keeps reminding people that DON'T carry the thread to the on-topic
newsgroup that they ought to, then the Thread will move. It requires
eternal vigilance on the part of the posters to a group, though. As on
UseNET

Also,

6) What about cross-posting to the groups, what and how much is
appropriate?

A reasonable amount :) Where necessary :) Cross-posting is a good way
of redirecting off-topic posts. Cross-posting with Follow-ups set to
the new group, and a mention in the post what you are doing

Sarah Heacock
sarah@eskimo.com