 Administrative / General / 6877
6876  |  6878
Subject:
Transclusional Stuff (Was: Re: using member pages that are associated with groups)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 15:10:38 GMT

We'd like to shut off the "old" editor permissions mechansism (which was a
temporary hack of sorts) and base editing permissions on member id.  I think
it would be good at that time also to give a link to people who have editor
permissions to a given area or page, so that people could contact them about
changes/additions/issues/etc.

Sounds good! Is there a way planned for collaborative editing, such as
semaphores that time out?

E.G. I got a dismal (zero) response about this page:

  http://www.lugnet.com/loc/uk/shops-by-area

Possibly because people have to write up their info, and then email it to me.
I believe that if users had the interactive option of being able to enter
local information themselves, there would be more people happy to do it.

Using a heavily transclusional system like the one above, users in the lowest-
level area nearest to their home town, would only need access to that area,
and the one above. (To input local information, and to add it to the index at
the higher level)

Also on the transclusional topic - an option to hide the line would be lovely.
Ie, imagine:

  http://www.lugnet.com/~105/test/

But without the -----------O line. It still has the benefits, but looks a LOT
nicer - ie:

  http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spontificus/test/lug.html

I think you could do this with a special transclusional character - eg. '@'

-=-=-
@ Shops in Glasgow
-=-=-

Would create "Shops in Glasgow" as a link to the page it was written in, if
the page was transcluded. It would be nice if it had no effect if the page was
not being transcluded. But can you do that without storing two copies of the
page - the normal, and the transcludable versions?

Richard