 Administrative / General / 6756
Re: Odd URL Thing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 18:33:58 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Steve Bliss writes:
Something odd started happening yesterday.  In the web interface, when I leave
the trailing slash off a LUGNET URL, it takes me to a sort of blank version of
the page.  If I add the trailing slash, everything is OK.

Try it.

Broken: <http://www.lugnet.com/cad>
Works:  <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/>

I wouldn't be so surprised to get a 404 (401? Whatever--page not found) with
the broken URL, but the semi-page is just strange.

What it's actually showing you there is a blank (not yet created) webpage
called /cad off the root.  (That's different from the /cad/ directory off
the root.)  If you type in /foo in place of /cad you'll see something
similar.

Interestingly, because of various issues, in my own web pages, I've
started to rely less on index.html and instead having a specific page
within a directory. I then make index.html auto-redirect to the correct
page. One thing this means is that when people bookmark my pages, they
won't be bookmarking a directory (of course they can create their own
link to the directory, but would likely be encouraged to change it after
they got tired of seeing the re-direct every time).

follow-ups to: lugnet.publish

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com